The Black-Globe Effect On Farm Animals
The phenomenon called the "black-globe effect" has a pronounced stress factor relating to the weight gain in meat producing animals and birds. Whether an animal is outdoors or indoors, in temperatures exceeding 78° F, it absorbs a tremendous increase in radiant energy from the sun. Although the animal may be confined to a building, the "black-globe effect" on the animal is the same as if it were actually 10 to 20° F higher than air temperature. Studies show that with the elimination of the "black-globe effect" through the use of reflective foil insulation, many improvements are immediately apparent. In the dairy industry, an increase of as much as 10% in milk production has been noted. Also noted; a conception rate improvement of nearly 24%. Broiler house feed conversions went from averages of 2.3 to 2.8 lbs. of feed per lb. of bird to a much improved 1.99 feed conversion.
Many growers are finding their animals grow faster and more efficiently after installing Prodex Total Metal Building Insulation. Death losses from heat are greatly reduced. The illustration above shows how an animal is heated even though the air temperature may not rise much.
There are many reasons to install Prodex Total Insulation. It will keep your building cool in the summer, warn in the winter and dry all year. Prodex is called "Total insulation" because it is a radiant barrier, vapor barrier and it has a high R-value. While the main reason to install Prodex Total is to keep indoor temperatures comfortable for your livestock, properly installing Prodex will solve your condensation and air infiltration issues. A complete metal building insulation system or pole barn insulation system, including those for storage only, should use Prodex Total Insulation.
To protect your investment in livestock, crops and equipment, use Prodex Total to maintain consistent indoor temperatures and moisture levels. Use Prodex in all the following wood and metal buildings: poultry houses, dairy barns, hog barns, stable, silos, outbuildings and storage sheds.
- Independent reviews at Site Jabber. Site Jabber is the leading community of online business reviewers. The community helps consumers find great online business and avoid scams. The community has grown to over 850,000 members and has reviewed over 58,000 online businesses. Site Jabber was developed in part with a grant from the National Science Foundation.
- BBB report. For over 100 years, BBB has set the standard for ethical business behavior. We're proud to maintain an "A to A+" rating. This rating takes into account a company's size in its relation to complaints. We're proud to maintain an "A to A+" rating. We've been accredited since March 15, 2004
- Prodex Insulation Reviews on every product page
- ICC-ES Recognized - ICC-ES is an evaluation service that takes independent test data for a variety of products and analyses it against a uniform Acceptance Criteria that is recognized internationally.
- Over 3 billion square feet sold worldwide.
Reviews - What to Believe
Updated May 12, 2016