Disadvantages of Spray Foam Insulation In Metal Buildings
- It doesn't prevent radiant heat transfer (the primary source of heat transfer into and out of a building - especially metal buildings and pole barns.
- Difficult to retrofit an existing building structure because of the chemicals and processes involved.
- Nearly impossible to use in conjunction with another insulation type.
- R-value will diminish slightly with age.
- With the exception of cementite foams, spray foam insulation can release toxic fumes when it burns.
- According to the U.S Environmental Protection Agency, there is insufficient data to accurately assess the potential for exposures to the toxic and environmentally harmful isocyanides which constitute 50% of the material.
- Depending on usage, building codes and environment, most foams require protection with a thermal barrier such as drywall on the interior of the house.
- Can shrink slightly while curing if not applied on a substrate heated to manufacture's recommended temperature.
- Although CFC's are no longer used, many use HCFCs or HFCs as blowing agents. Both are potent greenhouse gases, and HCFCs have some ozone depletion potential.
- Most, such as Polyurethane and Isocyanine insulation, contain hazardous chemicals such as benzene and toluene. These are a potential hazard and environmental concern during ray material production, transport, manufacture and installation.
- Many spray foam insulations are made from petrochemicals and may be a concern for those seeking to reduce the use of fossil fuels and oil.
- Most spray foams require protection from sunlight and solvents.
Comparing Prodex Total Insulation to Spray Foam
More benefits of Prodex Total Insulation
Protect Content From Vapor
Prodex is a class 1 vapor barrier. A vapor barrier (moisture barrier) refers to any material that prevents moisture from passing through the walls or roof of a building. This material can be plastic or better yet, Prodex Total Insulation - 13/64 inch, 5mm closed cell polyethylene foam covered on both sides with .0012-inch (00.03mm) aluminum foil facing. Prodex Total Insulation (Vapor Barrier, Class 1. perm<0.1 ).
Prodex Insulation Prevents Rodents, Bugs and Birds from Nesting
Unlike fiberglass insulation, Prodex does not provide for the nesting of rodents, bugs and birds. Rodents, bugs and birds aren't able to digest the aluminum.
It's a lot easier and less expensive to install a 5mm roll of Prodex than a bulky 6 inch roll of fiberglass. Pinching 6 inches fiberglass between the framing and sheeting is not easy. Prodex Total can be installed before or after your metal sheeting. For fastest and easiest installation, install before applying your sheeting. metal building installation methods
Prodex Total Deadens Sound of Rain and Hail
Metal skin on a building can exaggerate the sound of rain and hail. Prodex has an excellent 19db sound deadening.
Increased Lighting Efficiency
Prodex provides a bright, attractive finish to your building. It reflects the light, making it easier to light the building interior.
How do I know this is a great product?
Prodex Total is ICC-ES recognized. BBB link bottom right of every page. Real-time customer comments on every product page. Independent reviews (bottom right of every page).
To meet the unique insulation requirements of a metal building you need a total insulation system - Prodex Total Insulation = Insulation + Radiant barrier + Vapor barrier.
Insulation Roll Sizes - metal buildings
48 Inch (4 ft. x 175 ft., 700 sq. ft.)
72 Inch (6 ft. x 100 ft., 600 sq. ft.)
Fast Action (4 ft. x 175 ft., 700 sq. ft.). Fast Action is identical to 48 Inch with the exception of having adhesive running 175 ft. on one side of roll. The adhesive is not for attaching the insulation to the surface - It is for sealing the seams. No need for seam tape.
Want White Facing?
Foil Fiberglass Vinyl (Not A Prodex Product) R 10.7. The performance level of this product is slightly less than Prodex Total primarily because it only has one reflective surface.
4 ft. x 125 ft. and 6 ft. x 125.
Ideal for commercial or residential applications where white facing is preferred. Radiant barrier composed of 1/4 inch fiberglass core bonded to one layer of aluminum foil facing and one layer of durable white scrim-reinforced facing material. Fiberglass is encapsulated.