Rigid Board Insulation - Issues With This Product
- Rigid Board Insulation does not prevent radiant heat transfer (The primary source of heat-flow in and out of your building).
- The R-value diminishes slightly over time especially if the foil face is removed.
- It will absorb moisture if wet and degrade in sunlight.
- In cold weather, warm inside air containing water vapor can get past the wall finish and insulation, condensing inside the colder wall cavity. In hot, humid climates the same thing can happen in the reverse direction. Humid outdoor air in the summer can condense inside cool, air conditioned wall cavities. If enough of this happens and the water cannot escape, wood rot and mold can occur.
- Reflective insulation board is an improvement, but since it only has one reflective surface, it fails to reflect back the heat inside the building.
Alternative To Rigid Board Insulation
Prodex Total Insulation R-16 reflective Insulation + radiant barrier + vapor barrier all in one product.
Aliases of Rigid Board Insulation
foam board, rigid foam insulation, board insulation, foam board insulation, polyisocyanurate, polyiso board, polystyrene, rigid foam insulation.
September 12, 2013