5 Problems With Rigid Foam Board Insulation
1. Rigid Board Insulation does not prevent radiant heat transfer (The primary source of heat-flow in and out of your building).
2. The R-value diminishes slightly over time especially if the foil face is removed.
3. It will absorb moisture if wet and degrade in sunlight.
4. Rigid foam is a large rigid board. Because it is inflexible, it does a poor job filling the gaps or cracks that may exist in your walls. As a result, you'll have air passage ways in and out of your home. Air traveling in an out will bring moisture with it. This can lead to a multitude of problems such as mold, mildew and rot.
5. Reflective insulation board is an improvement but it only has one reflective surface; therefore, it fails to adequately reflect radiant heat transfer from both directions.
Aliases of Rigid Board Insulation
foam board, rigid foam insulation, board insulation, foam board insulation, polyisocyanurate, polyiso board, polystyrene, rigid foam insulation.
Alternative To Rigid Foam Board Insulation
Prodex Total Insulation = reflective insulation + radiant barrier + vapor barrier all in one product.
What Makes Prodex Total Insulation Superior to Rigid Foam Board Insulation?
- R-value 16 unaffected by humidity
- Prevents 97% of radiant heat transfer
- Vapor barrier
- Prevents condensation
- 19dba contact noise reduction
- 90 degree celsius (194 fahrenheit) contact temperature rating
- UV resistance
- Does not promote mold or mildew
- Does not provide for nesting of rodents, bugs or birds
- Seals around nails (no leak)
- ICC-ES Recognized
- Member of US Green Building Council - Made with 100% recyclable virgin raw materials
Basement Walls Need Prodex Total To Serve As Vapor Barrier
Excess moisture can cause mold, mildew, odors, decay, fungus growth and wood rot. Due to the underground environment, moisture is the primary consideration in developing a basement wall insulation strategy.
The underground environment of walls below grade presents unique challenges. The walls of a basement are exposed to the surrounding soil, which will contain water. The moisture content in soil below three feet deep is almost always higher than the moisture content of the air inside. This difference in vapor pressure causes moisture to be driven from the soil into the basement or crawlspace interior by diffusion through the wall. A significant amount of moisture from the soil below the slab will wick upward into the basement through the slab.
Because Prodex Total is flexible (a roll insulation), it will adjust to the slight contours of your walls, filling the crack and gaps - A true vapor barrier.
Installing Basement Wall Insulation
Prodex Difference: ICC-ES Recognized : R 16 unaffected by humidity : Prevents condensation : Prevents 97% of radiant heat transfer : Vapor barrier : Core sealed on both 175' side with flange : Elastic : 19dba contact noise reduction : 90 degree celsius (194 fahrenheit) contact temperature rating : UV resistance : Does not promote mold or mildew : Does not provide for nesting of rodents, bugs or birds : Seals around nails (no leak) : Reflective aluminum foil on each side of 5mm (13/64) closed-cell polyethylene foam center : Keeps its shape over time (doesn't collapse) : Rippled surface increases airflow : Member of US Green Building Council - Made with 100% recyclable virgin raw materials : Over 3 billion square feet sold worldwide
Recommended Insulation Product for basements: Prodex Total 48 Inch Insulation
List of All our Reflective insulations
Prodex Total 48 Inch Insulation 4 ft x 175 ft (700 sq. ft. total):
Reasons To Believe In Prodex Total Insulation
- Real-time Prodex Insulation Reviews on every product page
- ICC-ES Recognized
- BBB report (bottom right of every page)
- Over 3 billion square feet sold worldwide
August 15, 2015