5 Problems With Rigid Foam Board Insulation
1. Rigid Board Insulation does not prevent radiant heat transfer (The primary source of heat-flow in and out of your building).
2. The R-value diminishes slightly over time especially if the foil face is removed.
3. It will absorb moisture if wet and degrade in sunlight.
4. In cold weather, warm inside air containing water vapor can get past the wall finish and insulation, condensing inside the colder wall cavity. In hot, humid climates the same thing can happen in the reverse direction. Humid outdoor air in the summer can condense inside cool, air conditioned wall cavities. If enough of this happens and the water cannot escape, wood rot and mold can occur.
5. Reflective insulation board is an improvement, but since it only has one reflective surface, it fails to reflect back the heat inside the building.
Aliases of Rigid Board Insulation
foam board, rigid foam insulation, board insulation, foam board insulation, polyisocyanurate, polyiso board, polystyrene, rigid foam insulation.
Alternative To Rigid Foam Board Insulation
Prodex Total Insulation = reflective insulation + radiant barrier + vapor barrier all in one product.
What Makes Prodex Total Insulation Superior to Rigid Foam Board Insulation?
- R-value 16 unaffected by humidity
- Prevents 97% of radiant heat transfer
- Vapor barrier
- Prevents condensation
- 19dba contact noise reduction
- 90 degree celsius (194 fahrenheit) contact temperature rating
- UV resistance
- Does not promote mold or mildew
- Does not provide for nesting of rodents, bugs or birds
- Seals around nails (no leak)
- Energy Star Qualified : ICC-ES Recognized
- Member of US Green Building Council - Made with 100% recyclable virgin raw materials
Basement Walls Need Prodex Total To Serve As Vapor Barrier
Excess moisture can cause mold, mildew, odors, decay, fungus growth and wood rot. Due to the underground environment, moisture is the primary consideration in developing a basement wall insulation strategy.
The underground environment of walls below grade presents unique challenges. The moisture content in soil below three feet deep is almost always higher than the moisture content of the air inside. This difference in vapor pressure causes moisture to be driven from the soil into the basement or crawlspace interior by diffusion through the wall. A significant amount of moisture from the soil below the slab will wick upward into the basement through the slab.
Installing Basement Wall Insulation
Prodex Difference: Energy Star Qualified : ICC-ES Recognized : R 16 unaffected by humidity : Prevents condensation : Prevents 97% of radiant heat transfer : Vapor barrier : Core sealed on both 175' side with flange : Elastic : 19dba contact noise reduction : 90 degree celsius (194 fahrenheit) contact temperature rating : UV resistance : Does not promote mold or mildew : Does not provide for nesting of rodents, bugs or birds : Seals around nails (no leak) : Reflective aluminum foil on each side of 5mm (13/64) closed-cell polyethylene foam center : Keeps its shape over time (doesn't collapse) : Rippled surface increases airflow : Member of US Green Building Council - Made with 100% recyclable virgin raw materials : Over 2 billion square feet sold worldwide
Recommended Insulation Product for basements: Prodex Total 48 Inch Insulation
List of All our Reflective insulations
Prodex Total 48 Inch Insulation 4 ft x 175 ft (700 sq. ft. total):
Reasons To Believe In Prodex Total Insulation
- Real-time Prodex Insulation Reviews on every product page
- Energy Star Qualified
- ICC-ES Recognized
- BBB report (bottom right of every page)
- Over 2 billion square feet sold worldwide
June 12 2014