Spray Foam Insulation - Not enough for the Heat, Cold and Condensation of A Metal Building
Prodex Total Metal Building Insulation = Insulation + Radiant Barrier + Vapor Barrier + Air barrier - All in One Product. One solution to Cold, Heat and Condensation - You'll be warm in winter, cool in summer and dry all the time.
New Prodex Total 5M Plus - R17. 5mm (0.2") closed cell polyethylene foam covered on both sides with reflective reinforced foil facing. Roll Sizes : Technical Brochure
New White Prodex Total 5M Plus: R15.3. 5mm (0.2") closed cell polyethylene foam with reflective reinforced foil facing on one side and plastic white finish film on the other side. Technical brochure
New Prodex Total 10M Plus - R22. Twice as thick as regular Prodex Total. 10mm (0.4") closed cell polyethylene foam covered on both sides with reflective reinforced foil facing. Technical brochure
Any metal building or pole barn that uses fiberglass insulation rather than Prodex Total will have moisture issues (typically hidden behind facing), Loss of R-value (consequence of the moisture) and heat gain.
Spray On Insulation Doesn't Solve The Condensation, Heat and Cold In Metal Buildings
Metal buildings require an insulation that doesn't just protect from the cold - It also must provide protection from radiant heat and condensation.
Condensation - It can seem like a tropical rain forest inside an unprotected metal building. It's worse on those days where there is a greater contrast between temperatures at night vs. day. The morning sun hitting the cool sheeting will create a drip. A temperature difference between outside and inside your building creates condensation - Similar to what happens when you leave a cold can of beer outside on a hot day.
- Heat - Mid-summer sun rays hitting the metal sheeting radiates downward (inside). It makes it unbearably hot and humid inside.
- Cold - Winter temperatures turn metal sheeting cold. The cold sheeting creates the effect of an ice box making it colder inside the building than out. This also adds to the condensation problem.
Ever wonder why it's so hot and wet inside a metal building in the summer and so cold and wet in winter? The metal skin magnifies the heat of the summer and frigid temperatures of the winter. Metal is a very good conductor of heat and cold. In hot weather, metal framing and sheeting rapidly radiate the sun's heat into a building. In cold weather it rapidly releases the heat out of your building. When warm air comes in contact with the cool metal sheet, condensation occurs.
Spray Foam Insulation Is Not a Radiant Barrier
Without a radiant barrier, when your roof gets hot it radiates solar-generated heat down. This often results in it being hotter in your building or house than out. It's also suggested you supplement open cell foam with a vapor barrier. Why not get the vapor barrier, insulation and radiant barrier all in one product?
Prodex reflects 97% of the radiant energy (primary source of heat flow) that strikes it - Which also protects your animals from Black Globe Effect. Prodex also reflects back the heat inside your steel building. Each unit of radiant heat energy that is reflected away from your barn in the summer, and each unit that is reflected back during the winter, means less operation of your heating and air conditioning system - Less wear and tear on your equipment - Less money you pay in utility costs.
It can feel like a Tropical Rain Forest in A Metal Building
Prodex eliminates the moisture (condensation) from forming on the metal sheeting. It does it by making the temperature of the metal sheeting on the building approximately the same on the inside as the outside. When the heat or cold from outside comes through the metal skin it hits the outside aluminum facing of Prodex and is reflected back upwards through the underside of the metal sheeting. This process keeps the metal sheeting temperature consistent on both sides. In addition, the inside layer of aluminum in Prodex reflects away the heat (heater) or cold (air-conditioning) from inside the building, from getting to the metal skin. This also helps in preventing condensation.
I thought I had a Higher R-value - Spray Foam Will Lose R-value with Age in A Metal Building
Once metal sheeting gets cold it creates a situation where it's colder inside the building that out. To combat this you need an insulation that doesn't lose its thermal protection when you need it most!
The Prodex R-value is not affected by time or humidity. The R-value of spray foam will reduce slightly with age.
5 Reasons To Trust Prodex Total Metal Building Insulation
- Independent reviews at Site Jabber. Site Jabber is the leading community of online business reviewers. The community helps consumers find great online business and avoid scams. The community has grown to over 850,000 members and has reviewed over 58,000 online businesses. Site Jabber was developed in part with a grant from the National Science Foundation.
- BBB report. For over 100 years, BBB has set the standard for ethical business behavior. We're proud to maintain an "A to A+" rating. This rating takes into account a company's size in its relation to complaints. We're proud to maintain an "A to A+" rating. We've been accredited since March 15, 2004.
- Reviews by actual customers on product pages.
- ICC-ES Recognized - ICC-ES is an evaluation service that takes independent test data for a variety of products and analyses it against a uniform Acceptance Criteria that is recognized internationally.
- Over 4 billion square feet sold.
Reviews - What to believe
What Makes Prodex Total Insulation Superior to Spray Insulation?
- R-value unaffected by humidity
- Prevents 97% of radiant heat transfer
- Vapor barrier
- Air barrier
- Prevents condensation
- Does not promote mold or mildew
- Does not provide for nesting of rodents, bugs or birds
- Seals around nails (no leak)
- Green Product Certified