How To Insulate A Metal Building
Prodex Total can be installed before or after your metal sheeting. For fastest and easiest installation, install before applying your sheeting. How to insulate a metal building
New Buildings: lnstall the insulation over your purlins and girts (sandwiching it between the sheeting and the purlins/girts).
How to Insulate An Existing Metal Building
Easy - Attach the insulation under the purlins and girts. Visit How to insulate an existing metal building
It's a lot easier and less expensive to install a 5mm or 10mm roll of Prodex than a bulky 6 inch roll of fiberglass or spray foam. Pinching 6 inches fiberglass between the framing and sheeting is not easy. It's really tough having to use a wire mesh to hold fiberglass in place on an existing building. Spray foam is not DIY friendly.
Metal Building Insulation Options - Compare Fiberglass, Spray Foam and Bubble vs. Prodex Total
Fiberglass Losing R-value In Metal Building
Once fiberglass insulation gets wet (and it will get wet, due to condensation) it will lose R-value! Water trapped between fiberglass insulation and the exterior of a building will also cause mold, fungus growth, rust and oxidation - Conditions that will degrade the metal and shorten the service of the structure. In addition, fiberglass insulation does not prevent radiant heat transfer (the primary source of heat-flow in and outside your building).
Take a look at the white vinyl facing the next time you're in a metal building - It will be either sagging, or sagging and flaking. This is due to the added weight of water. Behind the white vinyl is a wet, mold filled blanket that will eventually cause the white vinyl to crack and fall off. At some point, when you're exposed to the toxic fibers, you'll be forced to remove the insulation - Hopefully before it does too much damage to the metal framing. Avoid an insulation that collects moisture, attracts mold, cracks and needs to be replaced. If you insist on using fiberglass, use it in conjunction with Prodex Total, so the Prodex can keep the moisture out of the fiberglass.
The Prodex Total R-value is not affected by humidity. This feature cannot be over emphasized. There will always be some humidity in a metal building and your insulation must work in these conditions.
More Benefits of Prodex Total Metal Building Insulation
Protects Contents From Vapor - Prodex is a class 1 vapor barrier. A vapor barrier (moisture barrier) refers to any material that prevents moisture from passing through the walls or roof of a building. This material can be plastic or better yet, Prodex Total Insulation - 0.2 inch, 5mm closed cell polyethylene foam covered on both sides with reflective reinforced foil facing. Prodex Total Insulation (Vapor Barrier, Class 1. perm<0.1).
Prevents Rodents, Bugs and Birds from Nesting
Unlike fiberglass insulation, Prodex does not provide for the nesting of rodents, bugs and birds. Rodents, bugs and birds aren't able to digest the aluminum.
Deadens Sound of Rain and Hail
Metal skin on a building can exaggerate the sound of rain and hail. Prodex has an excellent sound deadening properties.
Increased Lighting Efficiency
Prodex provides a bright, attractive finish to your metal shed. It reflects the light, making it easier to light the building interior.
Confidence To Buy Metal Building Insulation Here
- Independent I4L and Prodex Insulation reviews at Site Jabber. Site Jabber is the leading community of online business reviewers. The community helps consumers find great online companies and avoid scams. The community has grown to over 850,000 members and has reviewed over 58,000 online businesses. Site Jabber was developed in part with a grant from the National Science Foundation.
- BBB report. For over 100 years, BBB has set the standard for ethical business behavior. We're proud to maintain an "A to A+" rating. This rating takes into account a company's size in its relation to complaints. We're proud to maintain an "A to A+" rating. We've been accredited since March 15, 2004
- Prodex Insulation Reviews on every product page
- ICC-ES Recognized - ICC-ES is an evaluation service that takes independent test data for a variety of products and analyses it against a uniform Acceptance Criteria that is recognized internationally.
- Over million orders totaling more than 4 billion square feet of insulation sold.
Insulation4Less Reviews Some review sites are pay to play :(
Summary of why is Prodex Total the best metal building insulation?
Prodex Total stops condensation, air and heat transfer. It's R-value not affected by humidity. It installs easily. It does not provide for nesting of birds or rodents. It seals around punctures. AND it does not promote mold or mildew!
Updated August 19, 2019