Spray Foam Insulation - Not enough for the Heat, Cold and Condensation In A Metal Building
- Spray Foam not DIY friendly
- Alternative Insulation For Sale
- Spray Foam Cost A lot
- Performance in stopping condensation, heat and cold
- Comparisons to Prodex Total
- Disadvantages of Spray Foam
- What Others Think of Prodex Total Plus
DIY Spray Foam Insulation is NOT Do it Yourself Friendly
Do it yourself spray foam insulation can't be done by yourself - The chemicals and processes involved makes it too difficult to use by yourself on a metal building.
Alternative DIY Insulation To Spray Foam For Sale
New Prodex Total 5M Plus - R17. 5mm (0.2") closed cell polyethylene foam covered on both sides with reflective reinforced foil facing. Roll Sizes
New White Prodex Total 5M Plus: R15.3. 5mm (0.2") closed cell polyethylene foam with reflective reinforced foil facing on one side and plastic white finish film on the other side.
New Prodex Total 10M Plus - R22. Twice as thick as regular Prodex Total. 10mm (0.4") closed cell polyethylene foam covered on both sides with reflective reinforced foil facing.
Spray Foam Insulation costs are prohibitive - Compare To Prodex
- Roll Pricing on every product page
- Shipping calculator on every page in blue bar
- For Discount volume pricing or to order click the "Order Here or Get A Quote" button
Spray On Insulation Doesn't Solve The Condensation, Heat and Cold In Metal Buildings
Metal buildings require an insulation that doesn't just protect from the cold - It also must provide protection from radiant heat and condensation.
Condensation - It can seem like a tropical rain forest inside an unprotected metal building. It's worse on those days where there is a greater contrast between temperatures at night vs. day. The morning sun hitting the cool sheeting will create a drip. A temperature difference between outside and inside your building creates condensation - Similar to what happens when you leave a cold can of beer outside on a hot day.
- Heat - Mid-summer sun rays hitting the metal sheeting radiates downward (inside). It makes it unbearably hot and humid inside.
- Cold - Winter temperatures turn metal sheeting cold. The cold sheeting creates the effect of an ice box making it colder inside the building than out. This also adds to the condensation problem.
Ever wonder why it's so hot and wet inside a metal building that has spray foam insulation, in the summer and so cold and wet in winter? The metal skin magnifies the heat of the summer and frigid temperatures of the winter. Metal is a very good conductor of heat and cold. In hot weather, metal framing and sheeting rapidly radiate the sun's heat into a building. In cold weather it rapidly releases the heat out of your building. When warm air comes in contact with the cool metal sheet, condensation occurs.
DIY Spray Foam Insulation Is Not a Radiant Barrier
Any metal building that uses spray foam insulation rather than Prodex Total will have radiant heat gain.
Without a radiant barrier, when your roof gets hot it radiates solar-generated heat down. This often results in it being hotter in your building or house than out. It's also suggested you supplement open cell foam with a vapor barrier. Why not get the vapor barrier, insulation and radiant barrier all in one product?
Prodex reflects 97% of the radiant energy (primary source of heat flow) that strikes it - Which also protects your animals from Black Globe Effect. Prodex also reflects back the heat inside your steel building. Each unit of radiant heat energy that is reflected away from your barn in the summer, and each unit that is reflected back during the winter, means less operation of your heating and air conditioning system - Less wear and tear on your equipment - Less money you pay in utility costs.
It can feel like a Tropical Rain Forest in A Metal Building
Prodex eliminates the moisture (condensation) from forming on the metal sheeting. It does it by making the temperature of the metal sheeting on the building approximately the same on the inside as the outside. When the heat or cold from outside comes through the metal skin it hits the outside aluminum facing of Prodex and is reflected back upwards through the underside of the metal sheeting. This process keeps the metal sheeting temperature consistent on both sides. In addition, the inside layer of aluminum in Prodex reflects away the heat (heater) or cold (air-conditioning) from inside the building, from getting to the metal skin. This also helps in preventing condensation.
I thought I had a Higher R-value - Spray Foam Insulation Will Lose R-value with Age in A Metal Building
Once metal sheeting gets cold it creates a situation where it's colder inside the building that out. To combat this you need an insulation that doesn't lose its thermal protection when you need it most!
The Prodex R-value is not affected by time or humidity. The R-value of spray foam insulation diy will reduce slightly with age.
DIY Spray Foam Compared To Prodex Total
Disadvantages of Spray Foam Insulation In Metal Buildings
- High spray foam insulation cost
- It doesn't prevent radiant heat transfer (the primary source of heat transfer into and out of a building - especially metal buildings and pole barns.
- Do it yourself spray foam insulation can't be done by yourself to retrofit an existing building structure because of the chemicals and processes involved.
- Nearly impossible to use in conjunction with another insulation type.
- R-value will diminish slightly with age.
- With the exception of cementite foams, spray foam insulation can release toxic fumes when it burns.
- According to the U.S Environmental Protection Agency, there is insufficient data to accurately assess the potential for exposures to the toxic and environmentally harmful isocyanides which constitute 50% of the material.
- Depending on usage, building codes and environment, most foams require protection with a thermal barrier such as drywall on the interior of the house.
- Can shrink slightly while curing if not applied on a substrate heated to manufacture's recommended temperature.
- Although CFC's are no longer used, many use HCFCs or HFCs as blowing agents. Both are potent greenhouse gases, and HCFCs have some ozone depletion potential.
- Most, such as Polyurethane and Isocyanine insulation, contain hazardous chemicals such as benzene and toluene. These are a potential hazard and environmental concern during ray material production, transport, manufacture and installation.
- Many spray foam insulations are made from petrochemicals and may be a concern for those seeking to reduce the use of fossil fuels and oil.
- Most spray foams require protection from sunlight and solvents.
More benefits of Prodex Total Insulation
Protect Content From Vapor
Prodex is a class 1 vapor barrier. A vapor barrier (moisture barrier) refers to any material that prevents moisture from passing through the walls or roof of a building. This material can be plastic or better yet closed cell polyethylene foam covered on both sides with reflective reinforced foil.
Prodex Insulation Prevents Rodents, Bugs and Birds from Nesting
Prodex does not provide for the nesting of rodents, bugs and birds. Rodents, bugs and birds aren't able to digest the aluminum.
It's a lot easier and less expensive to install a 5mm or 10M roll of Prodex than deal with messy spray foam insulation chemicals. Prodex Total can be installed before or after your metal sheeting. For fastest and easiest installation, install before applying your sheeting. metal building installation methods
Increased Lighting Efficiency
Prodex provides a bright, attractive finish to your building. It reflects the light, making it easier to light the building interior.
How do I know this is a great product?
Prodex Total is ICC-ES recognized. BBB link bottom right of every page. Real-time customer comments on every product page. Independent reviews (bottom right of every page).
To meet the unique insulation requirements of a metal building you need a total insulation system - Prodex Total Insulation = Insulation + Radiant barrier + Vapor barrier + air barrier.
Prodex Total Metal Building Insulation = Insulation + Radiant Barrier + Vapor Barrier + Air barrier - All in One Product. One solution to Cold, Heat and Condensation - You'll be warm in winter, cool in summer and dry all the time.
Summary of What Makes Prodex Total Superior to Spray On Insulation
- R-value unaffected by humidity
- Prevents 97% of radiant heat transfer
- Vapor barrier
- Air barrier
- Prevents condensation
- Does not promote mold or mildew
- Does not provide for nesting of rodents, bugs or birds
- Seals around nails (no leak)
What Others Think of Prodex Total
- Independent reviews at Site Jabber. Site Jabber is the leading community of online business reviewers. The community helps consumers find great online business and avoid scams. The community has grown to over 850,000 members and has reviewed over 58,000 online businesses. Site Jabber was developed in part with a grant from the National Science Foundation.
- BBB report. For over 100 years, BBB has set the standard for ethical business behavior. We're proud to maintain an "A to A+" rating. This rating takes into account a company's size in its relation to complaints. We're proud to maintain an "A to A+" rating. We've been accredited since March 15, 2004.
- ICC-ES Recognized - ICC-ES is an evaluation service that takes independent test data for a variety of products and analyses it against a uniform Acceptance Criteria that is recognized internationally.
- Over 4 billion square feet sold.
Reviews - What to believe
Updated May 13, 2020
For independent reviews - Visit Site Jabber
MJbirdie: Wednesday, March 02, 2020
The spay foam was flaking from the building I just bought. It was a mess. It took me two days to scrap the balance of it off. Your 10M went up quick. I used some big head screws and some metal strips to attach it to my framing. I could tell the difference instantly. Good stuff
John S: Wednesday, February 13, 2019
I was considering using spray foam for a retrofit of my 50 x 100 warehouse roof. My primary concern was condensation and heat. I'm glad I went your direction. In addition to saving money, I think I got a better product for my money given my needs. No issues of yet. I'll stay in touch.
pappyyj: Friday, February 05, 2010
I installed Prodex in my 40'x40'x14' Steel garage when I bought the building it came with the 4" thick 6' wide white vinyl that was hard to work with because of it's weight and bulkiness. The weather was rainy and it was just my wife and I installing the insulation and steel sheeting. Trying to find something easier to work with I found your product I ordered enough to line the entire garage it was grate to work with. When the garage door company cam to install the garage doors on January 02/2010 the temperature outside was 10 degrees and windy. After they had the door tracks fastened enough to hold the doors in place they light there portable gas salamander I was impressed with how quickly it warmed to 40 degrees and healed the heat after they turned it off.
William Matthews: Saturday, August 15, 2009
I finally completed my 60" X 42" steel building using your insulation between the steel studs and the metal sheeting. I was amazed at the temperature difference. The metal is not allowed to adversely heat the building and the temperature is cooler than under a shade tree because of the breeze created within the door openings. The reflective foil also provides a tremendous amount of light reflection inside the building creating a very bright look inside. I am amazed and presently surprised that the thin foil actually worked so well.