Reflectix Foil Insulation, E shield, Low e, Radiant Guard, Rfoil, Tempshield, Eco foil insulation, Tekfoil Reflective Insulation, Energy Shield Insulation and Solar Guard vs. Prodex Total Insulation
All of the radiant barrier appear to be quality products -- Each prevents radiant heat transfer (the primary source of heat-flow). The above products are composed of either no center core, single bubble, double bubble, fiberglass or closed-cell foam membranes (centers).
Let's start our discussion by defining the difference between a radiant barrier and reflective insulation. A radiant barrier is a single reflective surface used alone that faces an open space, such as a wall cavity or attic. A reflective insulation is an insulation system typically composed of closed-cell foam, fiberglass, mylar air-bubbles or shredded newspaper plus (2) low emittance reflective surfaces plus trapped air spaces.
- The difference between a radiant barrier and reflective insulation is one reflective surface vs. two reflective surface AND the membrane (the core between the reflective surfaces)!
The Prodex Difference:
Rather than one reflective surface, Prodex has two. Rather than mylar air-bubbles, fiberglass or shredded newspaper, Prodex Total Insulation core is composed of closed cell polyethylene foam. Rather than metal film, Prodex Total is made with reflective reinforced the foil.
Having two reflective surfaces allows Prodex Total to reflect energy both directions! The outer reflective surfaces reflects out the heat or could coming in structure - The inner reflective surface reflects back the cool air from your air-conditioner or the warm heat from your furnace!
Take a look at the photo below. Even if you didn't know anything about radiant barriers, which product would you choose? The obvious choice from the photo is Prodex Total Insulation. It has a high quality core that keeps its shape when exposed to forces. Prodex Total has a nominal thickness of 5mm (0.2 inch) closed cell polyethylene foam covered on both sides with reflective reinforced foil facing. Under pressure, the Prodex micro-cells do not collapse. With a pressure of 6 PSI, Prodex Total compresses just 6%. With the load relieved, it takes back its initial shape. The density of the foam is between 1/25 lb/ft (sq). This gives the material real body.
- Reflective reinforced foil on each side of closed-cell polyethylene foam center
- Seals around nails (no leak)
- Keeps its shape over time (doesn't collapse)
- Rippled surface increases airflow
- Green Product
- Passes stringent fire tests
Click to enlarge
Foil Only Single Bubble Double Bubble Prodex Total
Bubble insulations are composed of either one (single bubble) or two (double bubble) layers of air bubbles sandwiched between two metalized surfaces. Once either is punctured, it collapses. Single bubble has a nominal thickness of 5/32 inch. Double bubble measures 5/16 inch. These measurements bear little resemblance to the effective measurement of the products (see photos above).
Single vs. Double Bubble Insulation:
We see little difference between the performance of single and double bubble insulation. The latter simply has a second layer of air bubbles (A balloon with more air). Although we strongly recommend Prodex Total over either, if your budget doesn't allow you to purchase the quality of Prodex, we suggest you order single bubble insulation rather than a double bubble. You'll get virtually all the benefits of the double bubble while saving money. We do not offer double bubble because we aren't able to justify its pricing relative to Prodex Total or single bubble.
Foil Only Radiant Barrier:
Typically perforated with a mesh woven into a single metalized surface. It's not insulation.
Radiant barrier + Insulation + Vapor Barrier + Air barrier - All in one product! Seals around nails (no leak). Keeps its shape over time (doesn't collapse). R-value unaffected by humidity, ICC-ES Recognized, Green Product Certified.
One solution for Heat, Cold, and Water. It keeps your house and building cool in summer, warm in winter, and dry all year. Prodex Total works great in hot and cold climates.
Now HIGHER R | STRONGER | SAFER
New Prodex Total 5m Plus: R 17, Increased Tearing Resistance, Flame Spread 0. 5mm (0.2") closed cell polyethylene foam covered on both sides with reinforced reflective foil.
New Prodex Total 10M Plus: R22. Twice as thick as regular Prodex Total. 10mm (0.4") closed cell polyethylene foam covered on both sides with reinforced reflective foil.
Any metal building or pole barn that uses fiberglass insulation rather than Prodex Total will have moisture issues (typically hidden behind facing), Loss of R-value (consequence of the moisture) and heat gain.
New White Prodex Total 5M Plus: R15.3. 5mm (0.2") closed cell polyethylene foam with reflective reinforced foil on one side and plastic white finish film on the other side.
Compare Prodex to other insulation types
More Differences with Prodex Total Insulation
- Independent reviews at Site Jabber. Site Jabber is the leading community of online business reviewers. The community helps consumers find great online business and avoid scams. The community has grown to over 850,000 members and has reviewed over 58,000 online businesses. Site Jabber was developed in part with a grant from the National Science Foundation.
- BBB report. For over 100 years, BBB has set the standard for ethical business behavior. We're proud to maintain an "A to A+" rating. This rating takes into account a company's size in its relation to complaints. We're proud to maintain an "A to A+" rating. We've been accredited since March 15, 2004
- Prodex Insulation Reviews on every product page
- ICC-ES Recognized - ICC-ES is an evaluation service that takes independent test data for a variety of products and analyses it against a uniform Acceptance Criteria that is recognized internationally.
- Over 4 billion square feet sold worldwide.
Reviews - What to Believe
Updated May 16, 2018