Disadvantages of Spray Foam Insulation In Metal Buildings
- High spray foam insulation cost
- It doesn't prevent radiant heat transfer (the primary source of heat transfer into and out of a building - especially metal buildings and pole barns.
- Do it yourself spray foam insulation can't be done by yourself to retrofit an existing building structure because of the chemicals and processes involved.
- Nearly impossible to use in conjunction with another insulation type.
- R-value will diminish slightly with age.
- With the exception of cementite foams, spray foam insulation can release toxic fumes when it burns.
- According to the U.S Environmental Protection Agency, there is insufficient data to accurately assess the potential for exposures to the toxic and environmentally harmful isocyanides which constitute 50% of the material.
- Depending on usage, building codes and environment, most foams require protection with a thermal barrier such as drywall on the interior of the house.
- Can shrink slightly while curing if not applied on a substrate heated to manufacture's recommended temperature.
- Although CFC's are no longer used, many use HCFCs or HFCs as blowing agents. Both are potent greenhouse gases, and HCFCs have some ozone depletion potential.
- Most, such as Polyurethane and Isocyanine insulation, contain hazardous chemicals such as benzene and toluene. These are a potential hazard and environmental concern during ray material production, transport, manufacture and installation.
- Many spray foam insulations are made from petrochemicals and may be a concern for those seeking to reduce the use of fossil fuels and oil.
- Most spray foams require protection from sunlight and solvents.
More benefits of Prodex Total Insulation
Protect Content From Vapor
Prodex is a class 1 vapor barrier. A vapor barrier (moisture barrier) refers to any material that prevents moisture from passing through the walls or roof of a building. This material can be plastic or better yet, Prodex Total Insulation - 0.2 inch, 5mm closed cell polyethylene foam covered on both sides with reflective reinforced foil.
Prodex Insulation Prevents Rodents, Bugs and Birds from Nesting
Prodex does not provide for the nesting of rodents, bugs and birds. Rodents, bugs and birds aren't able to digest the aluminum.
It's a lot easier and less expensive to install a 5mm or 10M roll of Prodex than deal with messy spray foam insulation chemicals. Prodex Total can be installed before or after your metal sheeting. For fastest and easiest installation, install before applying your sheeting. metal building installation methods
Increased Lighting Efficiency
Prodex provides a bright, attractive finish to your building. It reflects the light, making it easier to light the building interior.
How do I know this is a great product?
Prodex Total is ICC-ES recognized. BBB link bottom right of every page. Real-time customer comments on every product page. Independent reviews (bottom right of every page).
To meet the unique insulation requirements of a metal building you need a total insulation system - Prodex Total Insulation = Insulation + Radiant barrier + Vapor barrier + air barrier.
Prodex Total Metal Building Insulation = Insulation + Radiant Barrier + Vapor Barrier + Air barrier - All in One Product. One solution to Cold, Heat and Condensation - You'll be warm in winter, cool in summer and dry all the time.
New Prodex Total 5M Plus - R17. 5mm (0.2") closed cell polyethylene foam covered on both sides with reflective reinforced foil facing. Roll Sizes : Technical Brochure
New White Prodex Total 5M Plus: R15.3. 5mm (0.2") closed cell polyethylene foam with reflective reinforced foil facing on one side and plastic white finish film on the other side. Technical brochure
New Prodex Total 10M Plus - R22. Twice as thick as regular Prodex Total. 10mm (0.4") closed cell polyethylene foam covered on both sides with reflective reinforced foil facing. Technical brochure